[MMB] Software Package for IP Traffic Modeling available

Christoph Lindemann cl at cs.uni-dortmund.de
Mon Jan 5 14:07:32 MET 2004

An innovative software package for IP traffic modeling called IP2BMAP is available as open source.

We developed and implemented an efficient and robust numerical robust method for parameter estimation of the batch Markovian arrival process (BMAP) via the expectation-maximization (EM) algorithm. The software package has been called IP2BMAP because the BMAP has been identified as the analytically tractable model of choice for aggregated traffic modeling of IP networks. The key idea of this aggregated traffic model lies in customizing the batch Markovian arrival process such that different lengths of IP packets are represented by reward values, i.e., batch sizes of arrivals, of the BMAP.

New features of IP2BMAP include numerical stable parameter estimation of the batch Markovian arrival process via the expectation-maximization algorithm. The well-known randomization technique randomization technique and a stable calculation of Poisson jump probabilities is effectively utilized for the computation of the time-dependent conditional expectation of a continuous-time Markov chain (CTMC) required by the estimation step (E-step) of the EM algorithm.

We distribute IP2BMAP as open-source software free of charge to academia. Thus, other researchers can integrate the EM algorithm of IP2BMAP in their own packages and/or build upon our research results.

More info on IP2BMAP is on the Website www.ip2bmap.de

Prof. Dr.-Ing. Christoph Lindemann
Universität Dortmund
Informatik IV                                   Tel: (+49231) 755-2410
-Rechnersysteme und Leistungsbewertung-         Fax: (+49231) 755-2417
August-Schmidt-Str. 12                          E-mail: cl at cs.uni-dortmund.de
44227 Dortmund
WWW: http://www4.cs.uni-dortmund.de/~Lindemann/