[Networkit] request for comments: new API for edge attributes

Christian Staudt christian.staudt at kit.edu
Wed Jul 30 23:26:10 CEST 2014

Am 30.07.2014 um 23:15 schrieb Florian Weber <uagws at student.kit.edu>:

> I haven't looked to deep into this (I have an exam tomorrow, I'll have
> more time after that), but my first thought was: Why aren't you just
> using a std::pair<index, index> as id-type? That way you could just save
> the attributes in a std::hash_map<EdgeId, std::unique_ptr<AttributeBase>>?

Think about a billion edge attributes, either stored in an std::vector<…> indexed by edge id, or stored in an std::hash_map<std::pair<node, node>, …>. Which will have faster read/write access? Memory footprint? What about parallel write access (not a good idea for std::hash_map, I believe)?

Regards,