[Networkit] Problem computing ApproxBetweeness

Christian Staudt christian.staudt at kit.edu
Tue May 6 15:30:56 CEST 2014

Hi Kevin,
running the program with the log level set to INFO reveals the problem:

[INFO ][“src/cpp/centrality/ApproxBetweenness.cpp”, 38: virtual void NetworKit::ApproxBetweenness::run()]: estimating vertex diameter
[INFO ][“src/cpp/centrality/ApproxBetweenness.cpp”, 41: virtual void NetworKit::ApproxBetweenness::run()]: estimated diameter: 2
[INFO ][“src/cpp/centrality/ApproxBetweenness.cpp”, 47: virtual void NetworKit::ApproxBetweenness::run()]: taking 9223372036854775808 path samples

A ridiculously high number of samples is taken. Where does it come from? The number of samples is calculated as:

	count r = ceil((c / (epsilon * epsilon)) * (floor(log(vd - 2)) + 1 + log(1 / delta)));

So if the estimated diameter (vd) is 2, then the formula contains the logarithm of 0, which looks like trouble. I am currently not sure how to fix this, because this is how the formula was published. We will investigate.

At the same time I discovered and fixed an error in the formula, but I believe this was unrelated to the problem you describe. Please also update to the latest Dev-Revision for your experiments.

Kind regards
Christian