[Networkit] graph file formats

Christian Staudt christian.staudt at kit.edu
Sun Nov 16 15:29:37 CET 2014

Hi all,
some remarks about graph file formats:

- Tiago, the author of graph-tool, has pointed out to me that he designed a binary file format for large graphs with attributes.
	http://graph-tool.skewed.de/static/doc/gt_format.html
Should we have the need for a binary format, I think it makes sense to adopt an existing format like this rather than developing yet another one.

- It would be nice if we could store our network data collections in the most compact format, but GraphML and GML seem to be the only file formats that are readable across NetworkX, igraph, graph-tool, Gephi and NetworKit. Both are quite verbose.

- I recommend that we stop having the METIS format as the default format, since it cannot represent graphs with deleted nodes correctly. The format is also not among the most commonly used ones.

Best regards,
Christian