[Networkit] Feedback req'd: Multi-edges

Henning Meyerhenke henning.meyerhenke at kit.edu
Fri Aug 14 14:54:55 CEST 2015

Hello,

Even if we have to factor in vacation time, it seems that multi-graphs
are not of high concern for anybody. (Dissenting opinions: please email us!)

Thus, let's go for the option of disallowing multi-edges by making the
documentation more explicit. I have already inserted a comment for
addEdge. Who volunteers for other relevant methods?

Moreover, Matteo's remark about missing statements on time complexity is
important, in particular for the Graph class. All, please add
corresponding comments for new developments and revisit your old code
where relevant -- this effort is also likely to avoid performance bugs
in the future.

Thank you,
Henning

Am 13.08.15 um 19:26 schrieb Christian Staudt:
> Hi Matteo
>
> On 12 Aug 2015, at 16:02, Matteo Riondato <matteo at cs.brown.edu>
> wrote:
>

>>> It’s possible to break the Graph data structure for performance
>>> reasons, that’s a conscious choice.
>>
>> Interesting. Can you please elaborate on this, maybe with an
>> example?
>
> Just saying that the issue is known but we chose not to implement an
> expensive check, a choice pro performance and contra safety.
>

>>> Checking during insertion whether an edge (u,v) already exists
>>> takes O(deg(u)) time, the resulting slowdown for graph generators
>>> and readers is of course not acceptable.
>>
>> If I may comment on that, perhaps this decision of whether the
>> slowdown is acceptable should be left to the user. I.e., it should
>> be possible to have a “bool addEdge(vertex u, vertex v,
, bool