[Networkit] NetworKit Digest, Vol 16, Issue 11

Ian ian.wood at anu.edu.au
Fri Feb 27 06:44:24 CET 2015

Hi Chris,

I have a software stack running in python 2 that I don't really have time to port. There may be some modules without python 3 support too.

I tried today to install into a virtualenv running python 3.3, but I'm still using Ubuntu 12.04 which only has 3.2 in it's default repositories. It was matplotlib that gave me lots of trouble - it wasn't recognising system installed backends (perhaps because they're compiled against  python 3.2?). I'm giving up on that for now - too much time in that black hole already!  It might be a good idea to add python3 to the requirements list on the "Getting Started" page..

I put together a new virtual machine with Ubuntu 14.04 which has the required versions and installed networkit into a virtual env - all good.
I now have a problem though. I've a directed graph with some 265k nodes and 17 million edges.
I can read it in ok, but when I do properties.overview(G), I get this:

In [5]: G = graphio.readGraph("netowrk-internal.gml",Format.GML)

In [6]: prop
properties  property

In [6]: properties.overview(G,showDegreeHistogram=False)
INFO:root:[...] calculating properties
INFO:root:[...] determining degree distribution
Value 0 in data. Throwing out 0 values
Calculating best minimal value for power law fit
/home/ubuntu/python-virtual-environments/networkit/lib/python3.4/site-packages/networkit/powerlaw.py:546: FutureWarning: comparison to `None` will result in an elementwise object comparison in the future.
  if data!=None and not (parameter_range and self.parent_Fit):
/home/ubuntu/python-virtual-environments/networkit/lib/python3.4/site-packages/networkit/powerlaw.py:1047: FutureWarning: comparison to `None` will result in an elementwise object comparison in the future.
  if data==None and hasattr(self, 'parent_Fit'):
/home/ubuntu/python-virtual-environments/networkit/lib/python3.4/site-packages/networkit/powerlaw.py:598: FutureWarning: comparison to `None` will result in an elementwise object comparison in the future.
  if data==None and hasattr(self, 'parent_Fit'):
/home/ubuntu/python-virtual-environments/networkit/lib/python3.4/site-packages/networkit/powerlaw.py:671: FutureWarning: comparison to `None` will result in an elementwise object comparison in the future.
  if data==None and hasattr(self, 'parent_Fit'):
/home/ubuntu/python-virtual-environments/networkit/lib/python3.4/site-packages/networkit/powerlaw.py:556: FutureWarning: comparison to `None` will result in an elementwise object comparison in the future.
  if data==None and hasattr(self, 'parent_Fit'):
/home/ubuntu/python-virtual-environments/networkit/lib/python3.4/site-packages/networkit/powerlaw.py:1166: FutureWarning: comparison to `None` will result in an elementwise object comparison in the future.
  if data==None and hasattr(self, 'parent_Fit'):
/home/ubuntu/python-virtual-environments/networkit/lib/python3.4/site-packages/networkit/powerlaw.py:725: FutureWarning: comparison to `None` will result in an elementwise object comparison in the future.
  if data==None and hasattr(self, 'parent_Fit'):
INFO:root:[...] detecting communities
INFO:root:[...] performing community detection: PLM
<_NetworKit.PLM object at 0x7f34a977cc88>
INFO:root:[...] preparing degree histogram
INFO:root:[...] finding connected components....
Segmentation fault

It may be relevant that it's twitter data, so node id's are python int's, and many are long (ie: I think more than a C long int)?
If you give me instructions, I can attempt to get more informative diagnostics..

Cheers
Ian