[Networkit] Biochemical Pathways

Christian Staudt christian.staudt at kit.edu
Fri Jun 12 21:08:32 CEST 2015

I came across the following interesting “complex network”:

	http://biochemical-pathways.com/#/map/2

Is this an instance of the famous and often cited Protein Interaction Networks? I’m far from an expert on this, but it has always puzzled me that anyone would model the machinery of life as something as simple as an undirected graph with one type of node and one type of edge. Among the phenomena which can be modelled as graphs, some are more like complex machines, others are more like a bunch of linked entities, for instance, co-purchase networks ( “people who bought X also bought…”). This distinction may be important to decide how much we can learn from the application of network analysis methods, which are, after all, relatively simple descriptive statistics of dyadic data.

I’d love to be taught otherwise, but this picture is impressive enough for me to stop citing "protein interaction networks” as a prime application of network analysis for now.