[Networkit] setup.py compiler detection cleanup

Matteo Riondato matteo at cs.brown.edu
Tue Nov 3 19:01:42 CET 2015

> On Nov 3, 2015, at 12:54 PM, Jonas H. <jonas at lophus.org> wrote:
> My suggestion is to simply assume `g++` to work, maybe keep the “sample.cpp” check, add a note about the supported compilers to the documentation and respect the $CXX environment variable (or some `pip` option).

My suggestion: first check for $CXX (or whatever it is called these days), then fall back to g++ (checking for a min version, if required), then clang (checking for version >= 3.7, which supports openmp) and if didn’t find any, just fail.

As an example of why assuming a fixed set of compilers is wrong and unmaintainable: I run my NetworKit code on Mac OS X, Linux, and FreeBSD, and each of them uses different name for the g++-5 binary (resp. g++-mp-5, g++5, g++-5). Moreover, I sometimes test things with clang, just to be sure, and I have to modify the SConstruct script for every different choice.

Matteo