[Networkit] Taking my leave

Christian Staudt christian.staudt at kit.edu
Fri Apr 22 10:04:30 CEST 2016

Hi all,

I finished my thesis this week, which seems like a good moment to officially take my leave as maintainer of the project. First of all, thanks to all contributors, who have invested countless hours in sum.

For NetworKit we have followed a model that is not (yet) the norm for academic software - we have invested time into usability, documentation, packaging, distribution and support. As a result, NetworKit has something like a small user base, judging from the couple of researchers from all over the world sending us the occasional feedback.

No doubts that we've created a useful resource to build research projects on. I wish I had something like NetworKit when I started my PhD research - such a code base could have saved me months.  On the other hand it has been very educational for everyone involved to build this from the ground up.

I also think that such a code base is in fact, in the long run, a depletable resource that requires regular maintenance to stay useful.

At this point in the development, there is still a backlog of various ideas for improvement. That includes yet another algorithm that could be added, as well as overall improvements that make NetworKit a better data analysis tool. However, personally I'm not convinced that there is enough demand out there that justifies working hard to take the tool suite to the next level now, since we are operating in a relatively narrow academic niche. That's why I'm going to turn to other projects.

Thanks again to all contributors for making this work,