[Networkit] Taking my leave

Christian Staudt christian.staudt at kit.edu
Sat Apr 23 20:45:40 CEST 2016

> On 23 Apr 2016, at 20:01, Raphael C <drraph at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I hope this isn't too presumptuous but from my experience there are
> some basic steps which increase the likelihood of community
> participation in an open software project.

You raise important points.

> - I would move the whole project to github. A lot of people are
> familiar with it and it presents an attractive and open interface for
> people to report issues and to take part in development.  See
> https://github.com/scikit-learn/scikit-learn/pulls for example.

Early on (I don’t even remember the reasons) the decision was made not to host it on external sites like BitBucket or GitHub. But whether we like it or not, this is where the action happens. We need to face the issue that self-hosting might not have done the project much good in terms of contributions.

I think it would be a good idea, addition to algohub, to host copies of the repository on BitBucket and/or GitHub and see whether this attracts more community participation. (According to our licensing, anybody is free to do this anyway).

I believe GitHub only supports git, unfortunately, so a switch from Mercurial to git would be another issue to discuss. I believe there are also git-hg interfaces. Opinions?

> - A very small change I would make is to make the mailing list
> archives publicly viewable. At the moment you have to subscribe to see
> them.

Shouldn’t be hard to do, we’ll look into that.

We do have an issue tracker at https://kanboard.iti.kit.edu. But you’re right, it is not easily findable and access is only granted upon request (so far, that has never been requested by external collaborators). We could be more consistent here in terms of open development model.