[Networkit] All pairs shortest path

Henning Meyerhenke henning.meyerhenke at kit.edu
Thu Dec 15 22:15:12 CET 2016

Am 14.12.16 um 16:50 schrieb Matteo Riondato:

>> On Dec 13, 2016, at 6:14 AM, Christian Staudt
>> <christian.staudt at kit.edu> wrote:
>>
>> * ps. I recently had a discussion with the CEO of a company that
>> trains software developers in agile methods. His claim was that
>> especially projects in C++ tend to accumulate technical debt
>> (unfixed bugs, architecture problems etc.) until the project grinds
>> to a halt. He said that’s because the language is challenging and
>> tool support for refactoring is bad (both is true). I defended C++
>> with the example of NetworKit, which has not gone bankrupt in this
>> respect, but had to concede that it was lots of manual work to keep
>> the technical debt in check. In the end we agreed that C++ projects
>> can evolve nicely, but it requires very good programmers and
>> someone always pushing for refactoring. So yeah, a bit of technical
>> debt here.
>
> Let me play the devil’s advocate here, and say that NetworKit doesn’t
> have the technical debt in check.
>
> It’s a bold statement and even I only believe it partially because I
> know only a few aspects of the NetworKit code.
>
> I’m a bit strong in the following statements, but I want to remark
> that AI actually like NK and the people around it quite a bit =). I’m
> doing this because it can probably start an healthy discussion, and I
> hope you take it as such. =)

Dear Matteo,

Thank you for your feedback. Some of your points are, alas, true, some
to some extent, others not. (I will not go into details right
now.) I guess you agree that some of your harsh words overshoot the mark
-- but I know they were phrased with good intentions.

What we already discussed at the last developer meeting ten days ago
(with the core team, which had to be exchanged nearly completely this
year), is that our efforts in the first half of 2017 will be focusing
more on maintenance than previously, in particular concerning ease
of installation, documentation, and code quality. So, stay tuned.