[Networkit] Compiler detection fails after upgrade to OS X El Capitan

Christian Staudt christian.staudt at kit.edu
Sun Jan 3 12:45:50 CET 2016

I just upgraded to OS X El Capitan, and I assume that my system configuration is basically preserved through the upgrade. However, the NetworKit setup does not find my compiler “g++-4.9” anymore:

cls at clsmba ~/w/NetworKit> pip3 install -e .
Obtaining file:///Users/cls/workspace/NetworKit
    Complete output from command python setup.py egg_info:
    ERROR: Please install GCC/g++ 4.8 or later and rerun

Command "python setup.py egg_info" failed with error code 1 in /Users/cls/workspace/NetworKit

Max explained how the setup tries to guess the compiler, but I’m still surprised that “g++-4.9” isn’t found:

> 1. Read build.conf. Can't be present in this case because it's an installation via pip.
> 2. Check the $CXX environment variable. If it is set and also an element of a predefined compiler list, move it to the front there.
> 3. Iterate through the list of compiler candidates and use the first one, that passes the test compilation successfully.

I’m using the fish shell (but the same happens with bash). If setup tries to read from the environment variable CXX, it seems to be empty (but I think it was empty before).

cls at clsmba ~/w/NetworKit> echo $CXX

Best