[Networkit] Compiler detection fails after upgrade to OS X El Capitan

Maximilian Vogel maximilian.vogel at student.kit.edu
Mon Jan 4 10:51:52 CET 2016

On 03.01.2016 12:45, Christian Staudt wrote:
> I just upgraded to OS X El Capitan, and I assume that my system
> configuration is basically preserved through the upgrade.
Did you verify that? Is it possible to compile the Unittests with SCons?
You didn't change anything else on your system besides the OS upgrade?

> However, the NetworKit setup does not find my compiler “g++-4.9” anymore:
>
> cls at clsmba ~/w/NetworKit> pip3 install -e .
> Obtaining file:///Users/cls/workspace/NetworKit
>     Complete output from command python setup.py egg_info:
>     ERROR: Please install GCC/g++ 4.8 or later and rerun

> Command "python setup.py egg_info" failed with error code 1 in
> /Users/cls/workspace/NetworKit
>
> Max explained how the setup tries to guess the compiler, but I’m still
> surprised that “g++-4.9” isn’t found:
>
>> 1. Read build.conf. Can't be present in this case because it's an
>> installation via pip.
>> 2. Check the $CXX environment variable. If it is set and also an
>> element of a predefined compiler list, move it to the front there.
>> 3. Iterate through the list of compiler candidates and use the first
>> one, that passes the test compilation successfully.
>
> I’m using the fish shell (but the same happens with bash). If setup
> tries to read from the environment variable CXX, it seems to be empty
> (but I think it was empty before).
I'm under the impression, that $CXX is empty on many systems. You can try
CXX=g++-4.9 pip3 install -e .
although I doubt that'll do.

I've attached a patch that prints more information about the compiler
detection process. You can apply it with
hg import compiler_detection_verbose.patch --no-commit

Best
Max