[Networkit] NetworkIt and Xeon Phi

Wang, Zhijie ZHW47 at pitt.edu
Fri Mar 11 22:27:40 CET 2016

Hi all,

I am very new to NetworkIt.

I am working as a research assistant for a professor at Katz Graduate School of Business. She is interested in calculating the centrality of a graph ( 5 million nodes). For previous network related calculation, using python Networkx, my workstation is able to handle in a reasonable time. However, the betweeness centrality is too much for it.

Workstation: 32GB RAM, i7-4790k (quad core)

So I first tried to use Networkx, failed -- too slow

Then networkit, using ApproxBetweenness. -- still running on my workstation, 4 days already

I actually happen to have access a Xeon Phi 5110p (a CS professor) and I saw a paper "Parallel Graph Algorithms on the Xeon Phi Coprocessor<http://felsin9.de/nnis/phi/thesis/thesis.pdf>" by Dennis Felsing.

Will using a Xeon Phi improve performance of centrality calculation? And what are the necessary steps I need to perform? (Explicit Offload? Automatic Offload?)

My workstation supports 64 bit bar decoding, so Xeon Phi is compatible.

Also, requesting an allocation on Pittsburgh Super Computer is an option.

Due to certain requirements and future maintainability of this code base, I prefer not to write a hardware specific optimized C/C++ code.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thank you,

Bill Wang