[Networkit] NetworkIt and Xeon Phi

Christian Staudt christian.staudt at kit.edu
Fri Mar 11 23:26:48 CET 2016

Hi Bill

> Then networkit, using ApproxBetweenness. -- still running on my workstation, 4 days already

Which parameters did you use? Do we agree that calculating exact betweenness for 5 million nodes is impractical, no matter if with or without Xeon Phi? For ApproxBetweenness, the running time depends on the desired accuracy via the number of searches performed. (Also check out ApproxBetweenness2 which gives more intuitive control over the number of searches.) A handful of searches should take minutes, more searches will take you hours, days, weeks, and so on. Which brings us to the next question: Why do you want to calculate betweenness? Clarify how much accuracy you need, especially before you turn lots of electricity into hot air using supercomputer time. Yes, that is a tricky conceptual problem, but my guess is that doing just tens of searches lets you effectively discriminate between high- and low-betweenness nodes, which should be enough for many applications, and should be doable on your workstation.

Best
Chris