[Networkit] Warning on sys.path

Maximilian Vogel maximilian.vogel at student.kit.edu
Mon May 16 23:35:27 CEST 2016

Hi Babak,

On 15.05.2016 09:18, Babak Sokouti wrote:
> after I could not work with the properties module
The properties module doesn't exist anymore and unfortunately the user
guide linked on the NetworKit website isn't up to date. There are
changes to come. For the time being, please consider this updated user
guide
<http://nbviewer.jupyter.org/urls/algohub.iti.kit.edu/parco/NetworKit/NetworKit/raw/bb8e8d8b9a06bd03390d32f05565b8be7a71e301/Doc/Notebooks/NetworKit_UserGuide.ipynb>
which also briefly introduces the new profiling module, the successor of
the properties module. There is a notebook
<https://algohub.iti.kit.edu/parco/NetworKit/NetworKit/raw/275026494493ffdac78616b169b3151eda349365/Doc/Notebooks/Profiling.ipynb>
dedicated to it.

> [...] I thought
> there is something wrong with my package installation, so I tried the
> command pip3 install -e ./ and after that while I import the networkit
> either in jupyter notebook or python3 I get the following message, but
> I didn't face this message before issuing that command. I was
> wondering if there is a way to handle the situation.
>
> /usr/local/lib/python3.4/importlib/_bootstrap.py:321: UserWarning:
> Module _struct was already imported from
> /usr/local/lib/python3.4/lib-dynload/_struct.cpython-34m.so, but
> /var/tmp/Python-3.4.4 is being added to sys.path
>    return f(*args, **kwds)
This warning is new to me both in respect to NetworKit but also in
general. Just to rule out any misunderstandings: You cloned the
repository or downloaded a copy of it and used the "pip3 install -e
./"-command in the directory, where NetworKit's setup.py lies after you
installed it via "pip3 install networkit"? And you only get this warning
when importing networkit?
I might add, that I once "confused" my Python instance by mixing up
different pip commands. One solution may be to manually remove all
traces of NetworKit installations from the
/path/to/python/site-packages/. That includes the folders networkit/,
networkit-4.0.1-py3.5.egg-info/ and the file
_NetworKit.cpython-35m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so (exact names may differ).
Then you can try to install NetworKit once again.
Until this issue is fixed, keep in mind that it's only a warning. I get
warnings from packages such as matplotlib, but it still works fine.

Hope this helps,
Max