[Networkit] coarsening for ParallelConnectedComponents

Henning Meyerhenke henning.meyerhenke at kit.edu
Tue Jul 18 16:49:58 CEST 2017

Hi Matteo,

The parallel connected components code uses label propagation (LP).
Iterating LP for long would hurt the running time.

If "coarsening" is set to true, after a few LP iterations, the graph is
contracted/coarsened in that clusters become supernodes. The component
search is then continued on the coarse graph recursively.

This should not impact correctness (let me know if you encounter a
problem in that regard). Iirc, we saw decent (albeit not great) speed
improvements for many networks with this scheme over the sequential
BFS-based algorithm in "ConnectedComponents".

Thanks,
Henning