[Networkit] addEdge seg faults when invoked with nodes not present in the graph

Albert Cardona sapristi at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 15:54:41 CEST 2017

Dear all,

Being overly used to networkx, networkit got me by surprise: calling
adEdge with a source and target node that have not yet been added via
addNode results in a segmentation fault in ubuntu 16.04 with python
3.6. I had installed networkit via pip.

I wonder then:

1. Is there perhaps a brief guide of key differences between networkx
and networkit? I have so far not been successful at finding it.

2. If the reason nodes have to be added before calling addEdge relate
to performance, perhaps an add_edge function could be added to mimic
the behavior of networkx, with the understanding that it would be
slower (needs lookups, if statements, etc.) Alternatively, one could
rename addEdge to addEdge_unsafe, but of course this is undesirable
for backwards compatibility reasons.

Thank you very much for making networkit!

Albert Cardona

--
http://albert.rierol.net
http://www.janelia.org/lab/cardona-lab