[Networkit] addEdge seg faults when invoked with nodes not present in the graph

Meyerhenke, Henning (ITI) meyerhenke at kit.edu
Sat Jun 24 14:26:05 CEST 2017

Dear Albert,

Am 23.06.17 um 20:00 schrieb Albert Cardona:
> 2. A possible solution would be to build a "networkx" subpackage, so
> to speak: a namespace implementing basic functions in the same way
> that networkx does, but with networkit as the backend. Among these
> there would be the constructors Graph and Digraph; their functions
> add_node, add_edge; node and edge and weight lookups a-la networkx;
> and some other basics that could be added incrementally. That there is
> a performance cost is clear, and that should be stated in the
> documentation of one such package. This package would both facilitate
> the adoption of networkit and provide, for many use cases, a drop-in
> replacement for networkx. Once users are in, and their networkx-styled
> programs are working, upon learning that performance could increase if
> they used networkit functions directly, then there's every reason and
> motivation for them to do so. Note that, given the abysmal performance
> of networkx, this new drop-in replacement package would outperform
> networkx in any case by a large factor.

This is an interesting suggestion. We discussed something similar a
while ago but did not pursue it so far. Reason: It would be hard to get
funding for this, at least on our own.

At best I could see this as a student project right now. Volunteers who
want to drive the idea forward and implement it are therefore most welcome.