[Networkit] Build system discussion: Using CMake instead of SCons

Matteo Riondato matteo at cs.brown.edu
Mon May 8 16:02:15 CEST 2017

> On May 8, 2017, at 9:35 AM, Moritz von Looz <moritz.looz-corswarem at kit.edu> wrote:
> CMake seems like a good candidate due to its wide availability and active development.
>
> What is your take on this?

Something I read somewhere at some point: “All build systems suck, but CMake a little less so.”

Personally I like CMake, although from a language point of view you can immediately feel that it is the result of very organic growth: it’s quirky and there are too many ways to accomplish the same thing.

FWIW, NetworKit is the only package on my systems that require scons, and on some of these systems I have python2 installed only because of scons, so I’m very in favor of moving away from scons and python2.

Matteo