[palladio-dev] [sdq-dev] SimuCom/PCM: Multiple resources of the same ActiveResourceType in the same resource container

Christian Stier stier at fzi.de
Fri Sep 26 08:36:50 CEST 2014

Hi Jörg,

there is a multi-core attribute where you can specify the number of cores per resource. However, that unfortunately doesn't cut it for all cases. Multi-socket processors are often (for x86 processors at least) rolled out with the same type in the same node, so you can somewhat approximate how they would behave by modelling them as one active resource with 2x the cores. However, you can't really apply the same method for HDDs (which you also model as Processing/Active Resources). There are regularly cases for servers where you have both a slow disk drive and a faster SSD. There is the work-around of specifying another ProcessingResourceType for SSDS but that also comes at the disadvantage of not being able deploy a component that accesses general HDDs to a node that has an SSD.
> so adding another resource of the same type might implicate some kind of (advanced) resource dispatching.
I agree with you on this part - I am currently trying to think of the least bad solution to the problem.

Best regards,
Christian