[palladio-dev] Add Passive Resource in Resource Environment Model

Patrick Firnkes patrick.firnkes at student.kit.edu
Tue Apr 24 17:46:53 CEST 2018

Hi everyone,

I'm currently modelling GridKa for experiments at CERN and to simulate
the jobs accurately I want to model job slots,
which means that each resource container has a number of job slots that
limits the number of simultaneously executed jobs.

To model job slots in Palladio (SimuLizar) my idea was to use passive
resources which the jobs acquire before they are executed.
However, it is not possible to add passive resources to a resource
container or to set parameters either in the resource environment
or the allocation environment. But this is required because each server
has a different amount of job slots.

A workaround would be to create a separate job slot manager component
and create a assembly context of this component for each resource container
(in the assembly model one can set parameters). However, this would
create a rather large overhead for about 1000 resource containers.

It would be much nicer and cleaner if one would be able to create a
passive resource in the resource environment (just like the active
resources) and consume them
in the SEFF using the acquire and release actions.

I'm not sure if I should rather implement the workaround (with using
architectural templates) or implementing passive resources that can be
created in the resource environment model.
Is there a technical reason why this feature was not implemented yet? My
guess is that it should not be a big amount of work required to implement it
because the creation of passive resources is already implemented for the
component model, so I could probably reuse some functionality.

Do you think that it is a good idea to implement this feature or does it
break some design decisions? Do you follow my estimation about the
required work?
Or is there even a better way?

Best Regards,
Patrick