[palladio-dev] Add Passive Resource in Resource Environment Model

Steffen Becker steffen.becker at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Apr 25 13:34:20 CEST 2018

Dear Patrick,

the reason why this does not exist is that Passive Resources are
software resources and slot are similar to Thread Pools, i.e., software
resources. The resource environment is supposed to only contain hardware
or virtual hardware related things as it is in real life.

I think the proper solution for you is to use Infrastructure Interfaces
(thats what they have been designed for, dependencies on things like
middlewares) and acquire and release a slot before and after each SEFF.
Sadly, a ready to use AT does not yet exist, but should not be too
difficult to realize. Then you could have a SlotPool annotation on each
resource container with a limit parameter and the rest should be
implemented in the AT.

Best wishes,
Steffen Becker

Am 24.04.18 um 17:46 schrieb Patrick Firnkes:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm currently modelling GridKa for experiments at CERN and to simulate
> the jobs accurately I want to model job slots,
> which means that each resource container has a number of job slots that
> limits the number of simultaneously executed jobs.
>
> To model job slots in Palladio (SimuLizar) my idea was to use passive
> resources which the jobs acquire before they are executed.
> However, it is not possible to add passive resources to a resource
> container or to set parameters either in the resource environment
> or the allocation environment. But this is required because each server
> has a different amount of job slots.
>
> A workaround would be to create a separate job slot manager component
> and create a assembly context of this component for each resource container
> (in the assembly model one can set parameters). However, this would
> create a rather large overhead for about 1000 resource containers.
>
> It would be much nicer and cleaner if one would be able to create a
> passive resource in the resource environment (just like the active
> resources) and consume them
> in the SEFF using the acquire and release actions.
>
> I'm not sure if I should rather implement the workaround (with using
> architectural templates) or implementing passive resources that can be
> created in the resource environment model.
> Is there a technical reason why this feature was not implemented yet? My
> guess is that it should not be a big amount of work required to
> implement it
> because the creation of passive resources is already implemented for the
> component model, so I could probably reuse some functionality.
>
> Do you think that it is a good idea to implement this feature or does it
> break some design decisions? Do you follow my estimation about the
> required work?
> Or is there even a better way?
>
> Best Regards,
> Patrick

Universität Stuttgart - Institut für Softwaretechnologie
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Steffen Becker - Reliable Software Systems
Tel +49 711 685 88273
http://www.iste.uni-stuttgart.de/rss.html