[palladio-dev] [I43-doktoranden] Simulate load balancing strategies using SimuLizar

Christian Stier stier at fzi.de
Tue May 22 18:43:01 CEST 2018

Hi Patrick,

There are several approaches you can take to handle the placement of future jobs/VMs/workloads/... . Will briefly sketch two potential approaches.

1. Register a simulation extension that schedules simulation placement events as you had described. You could implement this as part of a plugin that registers to the extension point org.palladiosimulator.simulizar.modelobserver.exsd and register additional measurement events via the interfaces of AbstractSimulizarRuntimeState. As a prerequisite, you would want to register your scheduling event model via org.palladiosimulator.simulizar.modelobserver.exsd.

2. Use asynchronous adaptation actions to execute/interpret the scheduling events. This is what we did in CACTOS: https://github.com/cactos/Cactos-Prediction/blob/master/eu.cactosfp7.cactosim.vmi.controller.transformations/transformations/processexperimentscenario.qvto .
When following this approach, you process all events in your scheduling timeline in a reconfiguration at the start of the experiment and schedule them at a future point in time. That is what lines 124 ff. do. The cryptic actionId references any of the adaptation action types in the CACTOS Action repository: https://github.com/cactos/Cactos-Prediction/blob/master/eu.cactosfp7.cactosim.action.repository/model/cactos_repository.actions . The repository includes, among others, IDs for initial placement, termination, migration and other data center management operation.

Both approaches are realizable. The best solution in terms of scalability would be 1., although our approach 2. still was sufficient for hundreds to low thousands of VMs. We opted for 2. as it allowed us to reuse the same reconfiguration transformation logic for initial placement and autonomic adaptation decisions executed by continuously executed optimization algorithms.

Best regards
Christian